The following herbs were also recommended to help increase fertility:
• Red Raspberry Leaf– This is probably the most well known fertility herb! It is high in nutrients and helps tone, strengthen and also brings overall health to your uterus. You can get it in a capsule but is also available as a tea (which is my favourite).
• Nettle Leaf– Is very high in minerals. It is nourishing to the adrenals and kidneys. It is a stress reducer and also tones and strengthens the uterus. Once pregnant, it is great for getting enough nutrients during pregnancy and has a high vitamin K content to prevent hemorrhage. You could add nettle leaf to a tea and drink before and during pregnancy.
• Dandelion– Contains vitamins A and C as well as some minerals. The root is beneficial to the liver and the leaf is mildly diuretic. It can also help cleanse the body and remove toxins.
• Alfalfa- Has vitamins A, D, E and K and 8 digestive enzymes.
• Red Clover– Is very high in vitamins and contains almost every mineral. It has been known to help balance hormones and restore fertility.
• Maca (or Maca Root) – Is a hormone balancing herb that is known worldwide for its fertility promoting properties. It is good for both men and women to increase fertility. It is a very strong herb that often has very noticeable effects on fertility. You can get it in a powder form or in capsules.
• Vitex/Chaste Tree Berry– This helps lengthen the luteal phase of your cycle (which is when fertilization and implantation occur).
IMPORTANT: Do not take any of these herbs in combination with fertility drugs, hormone treatments, or hormonal birth control! As with any herbs, supplements, or medication, consult a doctor or health care professional about your specific case!
Fertility struggles can often be linked to hormone imbalances. The herbs listed above can help to balance your hormones; however, sometimes your hormones are so out of whack that it might be beneficial to try a progesterone cream (which is by prescription).
For couples, struggles with infertility can be quite painful. Proper diet and nutrition can be a big help and are beneficial in overall health. While sometimes medical treatment is necessary, couples should at least consider changing their diet first to support their body.